A few weeks ago, I took time to reflect on the goals I set myself in 2017 and while I felt satisfied with what I’d achieved, I also made a note of the goals that I ‘didn’t have time’ for.
(Yes, even as a coach I have to hold myself accountable to my own excuses!)
Have you ever said to yourself, “This is the year I’m going to…”
• Change my career
• Make more money
• Start writing that book
• Start my own business
• Wake up earlier
• Eat better
• Exercise more
• Travel more
• Get back into shape
• Have a better work/life balance
But by the end of the year you’re still stuck in the same place, the same old job, still struggling to pay the bills, still going to bed late, not sticking to a healthy eating plan, not exercising enough, not happy with your body, still not writing that book or travelling the world, feeling overworked and overwhelmed with little time for yourself, your family or a to enjoy a more vibrant social life.
Then you may be making this common mistake:
You’re not making your dream a non-negotiable!
When you ‘allow’ other things (or people) get in the way of you pursuing your goals, then you’re saying to yourself (at a subconscious level) that your dreams don’t matter.
If you’ve found yourself keep setting the same goal and not achieving it, then you’ve got to:
1) Take a good, honest look at where you may be letting things slide or giving your power away.
2) Take back control by making a very important decision: to put you and your dreams first!
Unless you decide that your goal matters and then create a schedule and commit to make it happen – it’s not going to happen.
You’ve got to make time for you and your goal and most importantly commit to it being non-negotiable.
That means scheduling it in your calendar and not compromising on it. It means using that time to take action and move towards it whether you feel like it or not.
Only you can make your dreams happen and that means taking full accountability of what you desire, what you need and how you’re going to get the support you need to make it happen.
• What are the ‘reasons’ you haven’t reached your goal?
• Where in your life could you take more accountability?
• What boundaries do you need to set?
• What conversations and with who, might you need to have to make that happen?
• What extra support do you need to create more time for you? (Hire a cleaner, a babysitter, a VA, a coach/mentor)
If you would like to move your life or career in a new direction and are interested to find out how one-on-one coaching sessions can help you make 2018 the year you achieved your dream – then please get in touch. I’d love to hear from you!